Sunday, July 7, 2013

Walk For PKD, Help Find A Cure

Walk For PKD, Help Find A Cure

From WalkForPKD.org
Why I Walk...

Traci Short and Team Short
Traci Short's Team Short was the largest team in the Walk for PKD in 2012 with nearly 200 walkers. Traci's husband, Kevin, and 14-year-old daughter Bailey have PKD. "I have two family members with confirmed PKD, and participating in the Walk is my way to make a difference,” Traci said. "My daughter Bailey is only 14. The funds we raise now for research can make a really big difference in her life."

... Traci and Team Short's efforts worked, raising $22,000 for the PKD Foundation through the Walk for PKD.  [Read more]


PKD Will Not Beat Me

From PKD Will Not Beat Me, a blog by Valen Keefer
Snippets of Inspiration
We naturally possess fear of the unknown. We who have PKD know we have it, but some of us choose to live in denial with blinders on our eyes. Others muster the guts to face it head on. Those of us with PKD, or any other illness, have the choice and freedom of how we cope with our battles. I choose optimism. I live wide-eyed, seeking answers to my questions.

This week, my mind needed a break from looking at blood work labs, talking with doctors, and thinking of my endoscopy procedure this Friday. I sat on my living room floor looking at a blank corkboard in front of me, trimmed with a pretty turquoise boarder. I held scissors in my right hand and began turning the pages of several magazines. One by one I started snipping thoughts and phrases that inspired me. [Read more]


Save A Life

From GoFundMe.com
Help Andrea's Fight Against PKD
Hi, my name is Andrea Cooper and I was diagnosed with a life threatening Kidney disease, in June 2007, (Polycystic Kidney Disease). Over the last few years it has spread to my Uterus and Liver. Undergoing multiple operations, and removing over 400 cyst like tumors on both kidney's in November 2007, January 2008, and April 2011.


Living With PKD

From DailyStrength.org
I've been diagnosed with ADPKD for nearly five years and I'm only 18. I didn't think too much of it, until today. I received a text message from my mom (she also has ADPKD) telling me she was coming home from work and to do research on ruptured cysts. Through that research, I found this website and I'm glad I did.

I have a few questions:

What does a ruptured cyst feel like? How long does the pain last? [Read more]


From PKDBattle.blogspot.com

What Age does Polycystic Kidney Disease Set in


... ADPKD patients often have no symptoms until they reach between age of 30~40. The most common symptoms include high blood pressure, hematuria (blood in the urine) and/or pain in the back, sides and belly.

While, ARPKD is usually diagnosed very early on. An ultrasound can reveal cysts in a fetus's kidneys, while it is still in the womb. This disease can also affects other areas of the body such as the liver, pancreas, and spleen, causing low blood cell counts, varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
By age of 60, about 50% of PKD patients will need dialysis or a kidney transplant to replace the kidneys' function. Of children with ARPKD, about 1/3 will need dialysis or a transplant by the time of 10-years old.


From KidneyFailureWeb.com

How Long Can PKD Patients Live On Dialysis

Dialysis is required when PKD develops to kidney failure and according to clinical statistic, about 50% of the patients develop ESRD finally. For PKD patients with dialysis, they have different life span. Some statistics reveal that the dialysis survival rate at close to 80% through one year, 64% through two years, 33% after five years and 10% through 10 years.

For PKD patients who are on dialysis, their life span is affectable by many factors like their age, control condition of the complications, diet arrangement, treatment and living style and so on. All these factors affect their life span seriously, so to live a longer time, it is necessary for PKD patients to take effective treatment, arrange scientific diet, have a tight control about PKD complications and develop good living habits.


From KidneyServiceChina.com
Polycystic Kidney Disease Herbal Medicine Treatment

Herbs for PKD

▪ Uva ursi. It is frequently recommended as a good herb for the kidneys. This herbal remedy has been used to help treat urinary tract infections and acts as a diuretic. Typically, 10g of uva ursi leaf is used to treat urinary tract infection. Check with your doctor before using this plant.

▪ Dandelion. Acting as a diuretic, this herb can promote the excretion of wastes from the kidneys. This herb can be consumed as a decoction, tincture or powdered extract.

▪ Cranberry. It has antibiotic properties and helps to acidify urine.

▪ Celery. This herb works as a diuretic to reduce uric acid level.

▪ Parsley, which works as a diuretic to decrease uric acid; Hydrangea, which cleanse the urinary tract.


From NursingTimes.net, United Kingdom

Live kidney transplant from an unrelated donor

A kidney donor describes and reflects on her experience, from her partner’s diagnosis with kidney failure, through assessment to transplantation and recovery [full article requires subscription]

No comments:

Post a Comment